[OSM-legal-talk] Are CT contributors are in breach of the CC-BY-SA license?

80n 80n80n at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 10:39:05 BST 2011

It would seem to me that anyone who has agreed to the contributor
terms and who then edits content that is published by OSM is in breach
of the CC-BY-SA license.

Currently the OSM database is published as a CC-BY-SA work.  If that
content is downloaded from the OSM database and modified then this
creates a derived work.

If that derived work is loaded back to OSM then it can only be done so
under the same license by which it was received, namely CC-BY-SA.
That's the nature of the share alike clause in CC-BY-SA.  But anyone
who has agreed to the contributor terms is claiming that they can
contribute this content under a different license.

Now I know that it is the intention of OSMF to delete any such
content, but in fact anyone who has edit such CC-BY-SA derived works
is already in actual breach of the license under which they *received*
that content.

If you have agreed to the contributor terms you are likely to be
breaching the terms of CC-BY-SA.