[OSM-legal-talk] I want my access back

Olaf Schmidt-Wischhöfer olaf at amen-online.de
Fri Aug 12 08:17:01 BST 2011

[Robert Kaiser, 11.08.2011, 21:17]:
> Most of us always agreed that our data is "the data of the OSM project" as
> soon as we contributed it, and that the project will always be able to use
> it. Some disagree apparently and make the life of the project much harder.

Unfortunately it is not „the OSM project“ that will decide what happens with
the data in the future. Many contributors who are important parts of the
project will not be allowed to vote on future license changes. The sysadmins
even reserve the right to remove voting rights from people by blocking their
edit rights. See the definition of „active contributor“ in the CT to
understand why. Members of both the sysadmins and of the legal working group
are aware of this, but they have clearly stated that they do not want this to
change. Loosing a few contributors (and their data) is regarded as a minor
problem.

My opinion is that the project consists of all people that contribute to it,
and that all contributors should be acknowledged for their work. Some
influential people disagree obviously, and this make the life of the project
much harder.

OIaf