[OSM-legal-talk] To delete or not to delete, that is the question...

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 05:58:19 BST 2011

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 8:11 PM, Nick Whitelegg
<nick_whitelegg at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> This does raise a legal dilemma though. Should the path stay in OSM and risk
> the possible consequences - or should the path be deleted, risking potential
> OS copyright infringement (as it was the OS that confirmed that the path
> didn't in fact exist)?

IMHO (and of course I'm not a lawyer) any copyright issues simply
evaporate when you're talking about individual factoids. Copyright, to
the extent that it applies, exists in aggregations of facts, or where
there is "systematic" copying. There are all kinds of ways of using
existing maps in your OSM mapping activities which are legitimate (not
least of which, navigating to the start of your mapping area...).
Would be interested to hear other opinions.

Steve