[OSM-legal-talk] Are objects still tainted when they are edited from a better source ?

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 00:00:42 GMT 2011

On 15 December 2011 15:17, Jean-Marc Liotier <jm at liotier.org> wrote:

> When I use high-resolution imagery to improve areas formerly mapped from
> low-resolution imagery, I change the source tag on the objects I touch -
> i.e. from "Yahoo low resolution satellite" to "Microsoft Bing satellite".
> Since my edit is correlated with a change of source, can it still be
> considered as a tainted derivative ?

What you describe seems to me a reasonable argument for considering
the _geometry_ clean. In particular, many of us are strongly of the
view that an untagged node which is moved can be deemed clean by
virtue of the fact that no aspect of the node endures from any
previous unclean state. You haven't indicated whether, in these cases,
you would have moved every single node, though that seems not to be
the main weakness in your scenario...

What about non-geometric aspects of the way? Perhaps it has a name, a
highway type, a lanes tag or whatever. If these tags have a clean
history, once again, I would be in favour of considering the object
clean. But you can't really deem the entire way clean just by
recreating the geometry if you also retain unclean tags.

Dermot