[OSM-legal-talk] section 4.6 of ODbL was [talk-au] Statement from nearmap.com regarding submission of derived works from PhotoMaps to OpenStreetMap

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sun Jun 19 22:57:04 BST 2011

Hi,

David Groom wrote:
> From reading section 4.6 of ODbL[1] my understanding is no.  There is
> no mention of it only applying if you change the data, the requirement
> seems to hold whenever
> "You Publicly Use a Derivative Database or a Produced Work from a
> Derivative Database,"
>
> However, the more I think about it, the more insane the above seems to
> be, so I'm sure it cant be true, and someone will point out something
> which overrides section 4.6

There's nothing I know that overrides section 4.6; however it is
mellowed by two things:

1. You only have to supply something on demand, i.e. you can wait for
someone to send you an email asking for the data.

2. Remembering that "the Database" is not, as a computer geek might
think, the exact snapshot of data at a certain time, but may be the
general concept of "the OpenStreetMap Database"; 4.6b says it is enough
to hand out the "method" that makes up the difference beetween your
database and the original one, so in effect if someone ever asks you can
email them the osm2pgsql source code and say: "run this on the OSM
planet file and then you have my database".

You are certainly not required to make available a historic snapshot of
OSM just because you have a historic tile on your server.

See also the work-in-progress page
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Open_Data_License/Trivial_Transformations_-_Guideline

Bye
Frederik