[OSM-legal-talk] The detrimental effects of database

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 21:04:01 GMT 2011

2011/11/23 Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org>:
> But I think that the specific example under discussion here actually falls
> short of even this lowered bar. It is quite possible for me to grab a whole
> Way in JOSM and move it one metre to the left (which makes me the last
> editor of, potentially, hundreds of untagged nodes). I don't think that this
> action would nullify the rights of the original contributor of the way, and
> therefore if the original contributor does not agree to the license change,
> we should remove this data.

Yes, I agree. But if there once were 4 nodes stretching over 30 km
(I'm slightly exaggerating), tagged just highway=tertiary, and now
these initial 4 nodes became 500 nodes or 5000 nodes, distributed now
in 20 different ways with lots of attributes, routes running over
them, etc., how much of the initial 4 nodes is still there?

Just bad luck for us? Or is there a limit where original rights have fainted?

cheers,
Martin