[OSM-legal-talk] ODbL and publishing source data

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Mon Nov 28 09:53:42 GMT 2011

Hi,

On 11/28/11 10:43, 80n wrote:
> If you cannot reproduce the Produced Work 100% faithfully from the
> Derived Database in what sense does the Derived Database contain all of
> the information required to create the Produced Work?

It doesn't, and it doesn't have to. Only in so far as the *database* has
been augmented to make the produced work does such information have to
be released. Any other, non-database input (what you seem to call
"worthless prettyfing" - I guess that members of the trade might
disagree!) that becomes part of the Produced Work is not affected by the
ODbL.

If new information is added at the non-database stage - let's say
someone prints out a map, paints something over it making the whole
thing a work of art, then notices a missing road and pencils it in -
then that is not the making of a derived database and does not have to
be shared. If the same guy, however, goes back the the data, adds the
road, and makes a new rendering from it, then it is.