[OSM-legal-talk] [Talk-cz] czech republic: data wrongly marked as ODbL compatible was Re: Hromadné importy & změna licence

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Apr 2 12:58:32 BST 2012

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 7:23 AM, Pavel Machek <pavel at ucw.cz> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> So lets start by saying that I don't like ODbL and I hate CT.
>
> There are three classes of data I uploaded to osm:
>
> a) Hand created data, most important paths in the woods. CT+ODbL, is
> okay for those.
>
> b) ODbL compatible - mass imports. CT+ODbL is okay for those, provided
> data from a) are kept. Richard convinced me that CT is not meant to be
> evil, and I can live with that.
>
> c) ODbL incompatible mass imports. Obviously these need to be
> removed. I have no power to change this. Mass imports were cities
> from wikipedia (place=*) and railway stations from around
>
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/changeset/188101
> 187327
>
> I hope this helps, and I'd like to see some reply, thanks,

Dear Pavel,

I'll ask the LWG chair to add this matter to the discussion at the
next LWG meeting.

I expect that LWG will send you a formal reply.  Until then, I'd like
to thank you personally for granting permission for some of your
contributions to continue as CT/ODbL, even with your stated
disagreements with some aspects of ODbL and of CTs.

Thank you also, to the other members of the OSM community who have
been discussing the matter with you.

Best regards,
Richard