[OSM-legal-talk] "whitewashing" nodes without tags

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 10:13:00 GMT 2012

I know that some variants of this topic already have been under
discussion, but I'd like to add another version to it, where I believe
that indeed there will be no copyright left by the declining mapper.
Three mappers Ac1, Ac2 (acceptors) and Dec1 (decliner) edit an object:

1. Ac1 creates a highway or any other way (i.e. a way with nodes and
tags on the way).
2. Dec1 adds nodes to the highway/way (no tag modification)
3. Ac2 moves the nodes of the way (interesting for us only the ones from Dec1)

For all nodes that Ac2 has touched (moved or added tags to them) I
would expect that it doesn't matter if Dec1 had created them, because
anyway there is no information from him left. This might be
interpreted differently if Dec1 would have also created the way, and
surely if he added tags, but if he only added nodes, and they are no
longer on their original position because Ac2 has moved them, what
would be copyrightable from this?

cheers,
Martin