[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] Critical Mass for license change-over

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 29 23:11:05 GMT 2012

I am going to explain my viewpoint on this.

My understanding of copyleft is the idea that people who own the
rights to their own work license it freely.
Other people who license that work via copyleft are then allowed to
create derived works, and adding in value create new works that are
again redistributed.

This is my understanding. all of my edits belong to me, they are my
contributions that I then willingly share with others. If I did not
own them, how could I contribute them?

The community, the public are free to license my works under the give
license and carry them forward.

The goals of making free and open data are not affected by this
ownership. I dont see any problems with this idea yet, but I am open
to hearing other peoples input. Maybe I will have to correct my view.

I don't see anything selfish or offensive and would appreciate that
you really take the time and explain you views.

It is a real shame if we cannot have a detailed discussion.

I am just explaining the legal basis behind copyright and copyleft :
Copyright says that I own all my work and you have no right to copy
it, copyleft says you are allowed to copy it under certain conditions
that are helpful to building a community.
You might consider copyright to be selfish in itself or the idea of
ownership in general, so please explain yourself.
thanks,
mike

--
James Michael DuPont