[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] Critical Mass for license change-over

Eugene Alvin Villar seav80 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 00:03:07 GMT 2012

On Mon, Jan 30, 2012 at 7:11 AM, Mike  Dupont
<jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:
> I am just explaining the legal basis behind copyright and copyleft :
> Copyright says that I own all my work and you have no right to copy
> it, copyleft says you are allowed to copy it under certain conditions
> that are helpful to building a community.
> You might consider copyright to be selfish in itself or the idea of
> ownership in general, so please explain yourself.

But copyleft is in fact an exercise in copyright. Some people have
this mistaken idea that copyleft != copyright.

Copyleft exists because the copyright owner has the sole right to
decide how copies of his IP can be made and that the owner has decided
to freely share and let others copy his IP.