[OSM-legal-talk] Some questions about using ODbL "Produced Work" maps in Wikipedia

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Jul 21 20:04:35 BST 2012

Hi,

On 21.07.2012 20:44, Adrian Frith wrote:
> Does this mean that, in my scenario, the only recipient to whom I have
> an obligation under ODbL sec. 4.6 is the Wikimedia Foundation?
> Everyone else who receives it receives it from WMF under CC-BY-SA and
> they have no claim on me?

This is an interesting question. I don't think you are right though;
CC-BY-SA does not work by sublicensing. For someone who downloads your
image from Wikipedia, the licensor is *not* Wikipedia, but still you.

This is governed by CC-BY-SA 2.0 par. 8a: "Each time You distribute or
publicly digitally perform the Work or a Collective Work, the Licensor
offers to the recipient a license to the Work on the same terms and
conditions as the license granted to You under this License."

This means that if someone downloads your map from Wikipedia, in that
moment *you* offer a license on the map to whoever downloads it; and
Wikipedia is not part of that chain. So I *think* that license-wise, you
have at that very moment licensed the Produced Work to the downloader
(even if he hasn't downloaded from you), and he can request the ODbL
sources from you.

If it were any different, you could team up with a co-publisher, publish
your ODbL Produced Works to him and he forwards them to the world
without you ever having to release anything. It would be a loophole that
demands quick fixing ;)

Bye
Frederik