[OSM-legal-talk] Some questions about using ODbL "Produced Work" maps in Wikipedia

Adrian Frith adrian at adrianfrith.com
Sat Jul 21 20:57:10 BST 2012

Hi,

On 21 July 2012 21:04, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> On 21.07.2012 20:44, Adrian Frith wrote:
> If it were any different, you could team up with a co-publisher, publish
> your ODbL Produced Works to him and he forwards them to the world without
> you ever having to release anything. It would be a loophole that demands
> quick fixing ;)

Well, that was exactly what came to mind. ;) I have a further question
which follows from this. I'm happy to put the OSM extracts behind my
maps up on my website in future. But if I upload OSM-derived maps from
Wikipedia under CC-BY-SA, with a link to the derived shapefiles on my
website, and then at some point in the future I lose the derived
shapefiles in, say, a hard disk failure, what happens? I can't comply
with the ODbL requirements, because I no longer have the "Derivative
Database" - but I can't force Wikimedia to take them down either,
because they are entitled to distribute them under the CC-BY-SA
license.

Cheers,
Adrian