[OSM-legal-talk] Some questions about using ODbL "Produced Work" maps in Wikipedia

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sat Jul 21 20:33:54 BST 2012

> From: Frederik Ramm [mailto:frederik at remote.org]
> Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Some questions about using ODbL "Produced
> Work" maps in Wikipedia
>
> The currently accepted wisdom is that there exists a separate channel,
> apart from copyright, in which database right persists no matter what
> copyright license is used.
>
> This means that *if* somebody took lots and lots of CC-BY-SA-published
> OSM maps and reverse-engineered them into a new database, this database
> would then *automatically* fall under ODbL even if that was not
> mentioned in the CC-BY-SA product.

I hate to open this can of worms, but I will anyways since I don't see that
it's been addressed since the release of the CC 4.0 drafts

CC 4.0 licenses explicitly include database rights (sec. 1 (b) of draft 1).
How will this work when 4.0 is published and CC BY-SA tiles include the
database rights?

Existing CC BY-SA 2.0 tiles include the rights under 4b of the license to
use a later version, as do 3.0 tiles. I'm not aware of any 3.0 tiles but any
2.0 tiles could also be used under 3.0