[OSM-legal-talk] Some questions about using ODbL "Produced Work" maps in Wikipedia

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat Jul 21 22:29:31 BST 2012

Hi,

On 21.07.2012 21:33, Paul Norman wrote:
> CC 4.0 licenses explicitly include database rights (sec. 1 (b) of draft 1).
> How will this work when 4.0 is published and CC BY-SA tiles include the
> database rights?

Also an interesting question but one that would probably have to be
addressed to the CC people; there are likely many works that are
currently licensed under CC-BY-SA but where the database rights are not
included on purpose. I cannot imagine that all these should suddenly be
"upgraded" to include database rights without the rights holders having
further say. That would be, to continue my example, as if CC4 were to
suddenly include all patent rights, no matter if those who licensed
something *had* those rights to begin with ;)

If CC4 comes out with such indiscrimante inclusion of database rights
then my guess is that it will either be automatically impossible to
licene Produced Works under CC, or we will have to explicitly disallow it.

Bye
Frederik