[OSM-legal-talk] What happens on April 1?

Ian Sergeant inas66+osm at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 00:14:40 GMT 2012

Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote on 08/03/2012 10:11:14 AM:

> So forgive me if I cannot see any "test case" in the Foursquare issue,
> and I would be surprised if anyone else did! Plus, as I and others have
> said, they're grown-ups and they must have been aware of the looming
change.

This isn't about Foursquare the company.  The Foursquare community is large
and all about geography.  (By comparison, geography is incidental to the
White House, and German Courts).

This is about bad news in the hands of the most connected of people.  These
are people who if they hate it will tweet it, facebook it, blog it, and
re-post it.   This will be the first contact with OSM for millions, and the
first time many millions more hear about it.  It really is in the interest
of our project that the experience for that many people be as positive as
we can practically achieve.

Secondly, given it now looks like the act can be done live, I see no harm
in working with the local communities to progressively clean the database
in areas where at least the major linking roads are in place first, without
losing the deadline or the imperative.

Maybe we achieve this by having a timetable that starts with the most
complete areas and works down the list, thereby giving a month or so
extension to those countries at the bottom?  That way, we don't lose the
deadline, we can go easy on the disc heads, and still grant some sort of
extension to those who have more work to do?

Ian.