[OSM-legal-talk] Digitizing from Balloon Maps

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Sat Mar 10 03:56:47 GMT 2012

> From: andrzej zaborowski [mailto:balrogg at gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: [OSM-legal-talk] Digitizing from Balloon Maps
>
> Hi,
>
> On 10 March 2012 03:51, Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com> wrote:
> > Hey All,
> >
> > I was wondering what the license implications would be from digitizing
> > from balloon maps that had been rectified from other satellite
> > imagery.
> >
> > - So let's say you fly photos of an area
> > - To stitch them together you use Google Maps imagery as the base
> > - What is the deal with the imagery at that point?
> > - If I trace the imagery is that really derived from Google Maps?
> >
> > It seems insignificant to me, but I wanted to get some insight.
>
> I would also like to know, especially in the context of Jeff Warren's
> mail on talk.  I think the legal side here is easier than the community
> customs.  I have heard both "obviously if it's rectified using Google,
> it can't be used in OSM", and "obviously it doesn't matter".
>
> I think Bing support in Map Knitter (even though legally it's in the
> same bandwagon as Google) would have a better community acceptance.
> Where I tried rectifying something with Map Knitter, Google imagery was
> useless because of complete cloud cover, too.

I'm not a lawyer but I believe standard practice for imagery providers here
is to rectify based on a database of survey points and I don't believe the
providers regard their imagery as a derivative work of the database. Next
time I'm at the city I'll ask them.

If you are rectifying, try to get *some* survey points for your warping.