[OSM-legal-talk] Digitizing from Balloon Maps

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 03:33:54 GMT 2012

Hi,

On 10 March 2012 03:51, Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com> wrote:
> Hey All,
>
> I was wondering what the license implications would be from digitizing
> from balloon maps that had been rectified from other satellite
> imagery.
>
> - So let's say you fly photos of an area
> - To stitch them together you use Google Maps imagery as the base
> - What is the deal with the imagery at that point?
> - If I trace the imagery is that really derived from Google Maps?
>
> It seems insignificant to me, but I wanted to get some insight.

I would also like to know, especially in the context of Jeff Warren's
mail on talk.  I think the legal side here is easier than the
community customs.  I have heard both "obviously if it's rectified
using Google, it can't be used in OSM", and "obviously it doesn't
matter".

I think Bing support in Map Knitter (even though legally it's in the
same bandwagon as Google) would have a better community acceptance.
Where I tried rectifying something with Map Knitter, Google imagery
was useless because of complete cloud cover, too.

Cheers