[OSM-legal-talk] Attributing Sources used in OSM

David Groom reviews at pacific-rim.net
Wed May 9 10:28:18 BST 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Whittaker (OSM)" <robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com>
To: "Licensing and other legal discussions." <legal-talk at openstreetmap.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 09, 2012 9:08 AM
Subject: [OSM-legal-talk] Attributing Sources used in OSM

> I've just been given permission to use some UK Local Government data
> relating to Public Footpaths and other Rights of Way in OpenStreetMap,
> under the terms of the Open Government License (OGL) [1]. In return
> the County Council is asking for a standard attribution based on the
> example given in the license. So far, so good.
>
> Assuming that local mappers agree if and how we make use of the data
> (ongoing discussion on the talk-gb lists), can I check that the right
> place to put this attribution would be in the wiki at
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors ?
>
> Secondly, if that's the case, then surely there needs to be an obvious
> way to reach that page from the main OSM page. From
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/ , I can easily get to
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright by following the "Copyright &
> License" link in the left-hand bar. But, unless I'm missing something,
> the trail then runs cold. That page contains a few attribution
> statements / acknowledgements for major data providers, but I'd have
> thought it should also link to
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors for further detail and
> additional statements. Should a link along the lines or "For further
> details about these and other sources used to compile the map, please
> see ..." be added just below the bulleted list of countries near the
> bottom of http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright ?

That would seem a good first step.

It does of course leave open the question as to why some data providers are
listed on the "copyright" page, and others on the "contributors" page.  I'm
not sure if this is deliberate, or just the nature of different people
editing the wiki and putting things in different places.

David