[OSM-legal-talk] [OSM-talk] [Osmf-talk] OSM : It's a shame !!!

Mike Dupont jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com
Mon May 28 22:33:05 BST 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 9:22 PM, andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 28 May 2012 23:03, Mike  Dupont <jamesmikedupont at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> moving the discussion to legal
>>
>> On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 8:02 PM, andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Copying and pasting is not a copyright infringement.  The Contributor
>>> Terms don't require that the data inserted into the database be
>>> compatible with ODbL -- only the current licensing terms, which still
>>> means CC-By-SA.  Otherwise many many normal edits would also
>>> constitute an infringement.
>>
>> CC-BY-SA requires attribution.
>>
>> '' You must keep intact all copyright notices for the Work and give
>> the Original Author credit reasonable to the medium or means You are
>> utilizing by conveying the name (or pseudonym if applicable) of the
>> Original Author if supplied; the title of the Work if supplied;''
>> http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/legalcode
>>
>> and
>> ""This License and the rights granted hereunder will terminate
>> automatically upon any breach by You of the terms of this License""
>>
>> so the new uploader lost his rights to copy it if he did not attribute it.
>> So it is an infringement, unless you take the view that this data is
>> not copyrightable at all and the cc-by-sa license does not protect
>> anything.
>
> Mike, I wouldn't say the usernames appearing in the object history on
> www.osm.org/browse/... are used to fulfill the attribution
> requirement.  First of all it'd break for many different basic
> operations done in the editors such as splitting and merging ways,
> copying tags, placing POIs with spatial reference to nearby streets.
> I kind of agree with Frederik Ramm's statement that (from memory)
> "anything that relies on object id persistence is broken" and so is
> part of the current redaction algorithm.
>
> I think a reasonable expectation for a contributor to have is that
> they'll be attributed as shown in the osm.org/copyright page, i.e.
> collectively as OpenStreetMap contributors.

Well for someone to copy and paste the data of another user without
attribution at all, that is infringement, also according to the
wikipedia guidelines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Copy-paste#How_about_copying_and_pasting_from_one_Wikipedia_article_to_another.3F

So, if you dont attribute the data, it is in violation. People just
liberally relicensing the data with no attribution will be caught!

mike

--
James Michael DuPont
Contributor FOSM, the CC-BY-SA map of the world http://fosm.org