[OSM-legal-talk] Collective database

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Wed Nov 21 09:15:16 GMT 2012

Stefano,

On 11/21/2012 09:57 AM, Stefano Fraccaro wrote:
>      I have a question from the talk-it mailing list. If I have a
> company that has an internal database used in conjunction with osm data,
> I need to share my internal database?
> For example:
>
>   * I use my internal database to select 2 locations
>   * I use OSM data to calculate the best route between this locations
>
> In this scenario, the internal database must be shared? IMHO I think no.
> It's right?

The distinction between a collective and derivative database is not
always 100% clear but in your case it is obvious that you'd have a
collective database at best (maybe not even that) so your internal data
would not have to be shared.

It would be a different issue if, for example, your internal database
contained information about the traffic density on various roads and you
combined that with OSM data to find out the fastest route at a given
time of day or so - that kind of tight integration with OSM data would
clearly be "ask a lawyer" terrain if you want to determine wheter you
have a collective or derivative database.

Bye
Frederik