[OSM-legal-talk] Combining Creative Commons Licensed Data with ODbL and Redistributing

Kate Chapman kate at maploser.com
Wed Nov 28 03:02:47 GMT 2012

Hi All,

Currently in Indonesia we are working on a QGIS plugin called InaSAFE.
The software allows someone to run an impact analysis of the effect of
a certain type of hazard (flooding, tsunami, earthquake, volcano, etc)
on infrastructure or population.

So basically right now the hazard database is licensed CC-BY and the
infrastructure data is licensed ODbL (because it is OpenStreetMap).
When we combine the two together a third dataset is created. This
third dataset uses the geometries of the OSM data and the attribute
information is from the CC-BY hazard database. Sometimes depending on
the model it uses the attributes from the OSM data with the hazard
database to come up with the attributes for the new dataset.

So is the new dataset a derived database? It seems like it is to me.
What should we be licensing this? The software being used to do the
analysis is completely open source and we can make the hazard database
available under the CC-BY license as stated above.

We just want to make sure we are doing the right thing to be inline
with the license.

Thanks!

-Kate