[OSM-legal-talk] Combining Creative Commons Licensed Data with ODbL and Redistributing

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Thu Nov 29 06:00:55 GMT 2012

We've been using CC BY licensed data in OSM. The only potential issue is
that they be satisfied that the attribution is "reasonable to the medium or
means You are utilizing".

I would consider that a line saying "Hazard Data (C) CC BY foo, Map Data (C)
ODbL OpenStreetMap contributors" with appropriate hyperlinks would be
considered reasonable to an online map and they couldn't object. If that's
too long then perhaps "(C) foo, OpenStreetMap" with a more detailed legal
page.

The issue that comes up with OSM and CC BY is that our attribution is a
listing in http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Contributors and for major
sources on a national scale listing on
http://www.openstreetmap.org/copyright. Someone could potentially not
consider this means of attribution sufficient.

My recollection about "effective technological measures" is that the
language is DMCA related. It doesn't stop technical measures, it just stops
them from being "effective" and triggering some of the DMCA provisions.

GPLv3 has similar language stating that "no covered work shall be deemed
part of an effective technological measure ... under ... WIPO copyright
treaty, or similar laws..."

I think the net effect is that you can break the copy protection on a CC BY
licensed work and doing that by itself is not against the law. Of course
what you do with the work after you've broken the copyright protection could
be, but the mere breaking of copy protection is okay.

IANAL, etc