[OSM-legal-talk] [Talk-br] RES: Má importação em Sobradinho (IMPORTANTE)

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 23:12:28 UTC 2013

I'm copying this to the legal-talk list for a sanity check of myself. :P

I agree that we have a problem of trust before having a problem of
contribution licensing, unless an explicit license made by the
individual would transfer any responsibility to them and save us any
trouble. In fact, TrackSource contributors seem not worried about
licenses at all, many of them are learning about licensing conditions
as they interact with us. To me this means they have good will
(perhaps also a bit of naivety). I think they are also learning the
"rules" of the open community (theirs is a hierarchical, closed
community).

Some of them claim that the portions of the map that they contributed
have been entirely generated by themselves over the years. We know
that much of their data has been generated from their own GPS
tracklogs as well as traced over Google imagery (some of it, most of
it, it probably varies by contributor). My advice so far has been to
realign the nodes and ways to Bing prior to uploading; other advices
include removing data with any risk of coming from other sources -
such as street names -, therefore only contribute data they are
absolutely sure to be "clean". Beyond that I don't see any reasons to
mistrust the entire TrackSource community based solely on their
involvement, that would be prejudice. However, we should continue to
monitor reckless imports (as has been the case only once so far - and
one of their first attempts at doing so).