[OSM-legal-talk] Imagery license clarification needed

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Sun Aug 25 18:33:06 UTC 2013

Hello,

I need some help in understanding a license for using imagery.

Is a license called "NextView" compatible with OSM contributor terms
(and ODbL)?

My understanding of "Literal Imagery Derived Products" is that this is
the vector data we create by tracing from imagery. I'm a bit uncertain
about the exact meaning. I'm no native speaker and have problems
translating the word "literal" in combination with "Imagery".

The license text says:
“This data is licensed for use by the US Government (USG) under the
NextView (NV) license and copyrighted by Digital Globe or GeoEye. The NV
license allows the USG to share the imagery and Literal Imagery Derived
Products (LIDP) with entities outside the USG when that entity is
working directly with the USG, for the USG, or in a manner that is
directly beneficial to the USG. The party receiving the data can only
use the imagery or LIDP for the original purpose or only as otherwise
agreed to by the USG. The party receiving the data cannot share the
imagery or LIDP with a third party without express permission from the
USG. At no time should this imagery or LIDP be used for other than
USG-related purposes and must not be used for commercial gain. The
copyright information should be maintained at all times. Your acceptance
of these license terms is implied by your use.”

Later it's suggested:
"In other words, you may only use NextView imagery linked from this site
for digitizing OpenStreetMap data for humanitarian purposes."

I worry:
OSM data can be used for any purpose, including commercial ones. The
license above explicitly forbids commercial gain: "At no time should
this imagery or LIDP be used for other than USG-related purposes and
must not be used for commercial gain".

Will it harm OSM if we have larger scale data from this source included
in the database?

Stephan