[OSM-legal-talk] Which legislation applies: server or data location?

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 23:31:48 UTC 2013

Well, in this particular case, it is a bit complicated. Some of the
data (though we can't tell which part of it) might have been traced
over Google imagery, and Brazilian law might be more lenient as was
the case of several US court cases
(http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Commons:Derivative_works#Maps). I
fear that delving into subtle legal interpretations here doesn't help
us anyway since it would be illegal in the UK to provide any data
derived from Google's services, regardless of the location the data
refers to.

Brazil already has another "open" maps project called TrackSource
(released under a CC-BY-SA license) and some people in that project
have shown interest in contributing to OSM their own data, which was
collected and refined over almost a decade. We know that we can't take
the official "released" maps, but the contributors (which own their
own data) are willing to upload their unlicensed data. That would be
legal except for the fact that their community actively encouraged
tracing using Google Earth (there are several records of that on the
Internet). A considerable part of that data, however, was also mixed
with personally collected tracklogs, some of it using very advanced
survey techniques, but it is impossible to tell which data elements
came from which source using their (rudimentary?) tools and database
formats. In other words, they've never really worried about these
licensing issues.

Even though we are telling them to contribute only the data they are
sure to be unrelated to Google, we're simply not sure if they are
following our advice. Some have already started thinking of ways to
automatically detect imports from TrackSource maps and report the
changesets to OSMF for a mass reversal. Meanwhile I'm trying to
prevent the TrackSource folks from losing interest in OSM.