[OSM-legal-talk] Using Google Street View to perform "virtual survey"

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Tue Apr 8 09:19:51 UTC 2014

Am 08.04.2014 10:55, schrieb Martin Koppenhoefer:

> <mailto:simon at poole.ch>>:
>
>     @Martin It is undoubtedly so that the information in question is -not-
>     simply available for use. You need to invest the time and effort to
>     actually go out and collect it. Google has done so and that we should
>     respect, regardless of legalities*.
>

> I am aware of this, but you have put ethics into play. If someone
> developped a system to analyze and store the DNA information of another
> person (or of an animal, plant), should they be able to become the
> proprietor of this information and forbid others to use it or ask
> license fees? Collecting information about the world, nature, the
> universe ,etc. (regardless how great the effort is) does not
> automatically make you the exclusive owner of this information.

That is a completely different kettle of fish and a very different
discussion. I am not aware of google or any of the other relevant
companies or body (with the exception of some states and some national
monopoly organisations) claiming exclusivity on such collections. With
other words we are free to go out and replicate their effort, which in
the end, is what OSM is all about.

Yes, there is some concern on my behalf that we may run in to some
non-copyright related IP issues at some point in time but google is
-very- unlikely to be the problem.

Simon