[OSM-legal-talk] The edges of share-alike on data Re: Attribution

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Mon May 5 15:26:35 UTC 2014

> According to your message, a graphical rendering of Openstreetmap ways and
> traffic data mashed up in a browser by joining on an OSM ID implies a
> derivative database. If it is, then I understand how some may avoid using
> Openstreetmap data for fear of virality.

no, this was not about overlaying 2 graphical layers but about joining the
data into one layer (necessary I guess, in order to perform routing). In
your hypothetical use case (overlay on a map) you would not be able to use
the traffic data to compute directions on the osm graph (i.e. you would
have another graph for the routing and the osm layer would be "just a nice
picture"). In my understanding enriching an osm-derived graph with traffic
information would constitute a derivative database.

cheers,
Martin