[OSM-legal-talk] OSM based GPS navigations and ODbl license of OSM data

Karel Charvat Charvat.K at seznam.cz
Tue Jan 6 19:01:48 UTC 2015

Hallo,
I would like to study structure of data used in various GPS navigations
based on OSM. As raw OSM data are not suitable for routing, I suppse, each
implementation in GPS navigation needs some changes in the data. I suppose
these modified datasets can be called Derivative Database by the definition
in http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/
(http://opendatacommons.org/licenses/odbl/1.0/).

If derivative database or processed work is publicly used in some software
tool, the license requires providing the derivative database to the
recipients also in machine readable form.

OSM data are used for example by Be-On-Road. On http://www.beonroad.com/
(http://www.beonroad.com/) it is posible to download data for various
individual countries in files with .bmd extension. I haven't found any
specifications of this file format, so It is not possible for me to access
and study the data. I can only use them in be-on-road navigation.

Are the developers of Be-On-Road fullfilling their ODbl licenseĀ  obligations
by providing their data only in files with unknown format?

Tanks,

Karel