[OSM-legal-talk] OSM based GPS navigations and ODbl license of OSM data

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Tue Jan 6 19:39:56 UTC 2015

On 1/6/2015 11:01 AM, Karel Charvat wrote:
> Are the developers of Be-On-Road fullfilling their ODbl license
> obligations by providing their data only in files with unknown format?
It depends. If they are not adding any data, they can simply point to
the source (planet.osm.org).

If they are adding data, they need to provide the entire derivative
database (4.6.a) or an alteration file (4.6.b) with the new contents.
Based on my experience, I would be surprised if they had non-OSM data in
a derivative database. Far more common is to layer OSM data with other data.

It would be nice if be-on-the-road documented their format and provided
open-source tools to use it, but this is not a legal requirement. The
ODbL is concerned with preserving the openness of the data, not of the
data format.

They of course need to meet the other obligations of the ODbL (e.g.
attribution).