[OSM-legal-talk] OSM based GPS navigations and ODbl license of OSM data

Henning Hollburg henning.hollburg at gmail.com
Wed Jan 7 09:30:29 UTC 2015

Hi,

as far as I understand the community guideline the creation of a
routable graph from the OSM data (only!) is regarded a "trivial
transformation" that doesn't have to be published under the ODbL.

I am wondering now what happens when you combine this graph with other
(non open) data.

One example is Skobbler:

http://developer.skobbler.com/features#qualityMapData

/"//traffic data from millions of devices is being reintegrated into our
navigation map and routing algorithm. This means that your next route
will take the latest turn restrictions, traffic speed, speed cameras,
and more into consideration.//"/

some more information:

http://stevecoast.com/2014/05/19/why-openstreetmap-is-now-navigation-ready-for-people-like-you/

Doesn't this mean that this data has to be published according to the
ODbL? If not, why?

Best regards

Henning