[OSM-legal-talk] Geocoding as produced work (was: Proposed "Metadata"-Guideline)

Tom Lee tlee at mapbox.com
Wed Sep 23 13:23:31 UTC 2015

> I mean, nobody cares about a single on-the-fly geocoding result (this
> easily falls under the "substantial" guideline) but if you repeatedly
> query an ODbL database with the aim of retrieving from it, say, a
> million lat-lon pairs to store in your own database, then how in the
> world could this new database ever be *not* a derivative? Even if you
> were to define a single geocoding result as a produced work, combining a
> large number of them in a database would still get you a derived
> database again.

Can't the same argument apply to tiles? If you used tiles to recreate the
OSM database (say, by tracing road geometry or by OCRing feature names) and
then republishing under a different license, you would clearly be violating
the ODbL.

It seems as though the same approach can apply to geocoding: locate
features to your heart's content, but if you use the results to create a
general purpose geographic database that substitutes for/competes with OSM,
you'll be in violation of the license.