[OSM-legal-talk] MAPS.ME combining OSM data and non-OSM data?

Andrew Harvey andrew.harvey4 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 12:52:00 UTC 2016

According to [1] if someone combines non-horizontal layers together,
the results must be shared under the ODBL.

>From my investigation it appears that the MAPS.ME app [2] is combining
OSM hotels with non-OSM hotels.

https://tianjara.net/hosted/maps.me-1.png is a screenshot from the
app. Hotel A appears in the app,
but as far as I can tell was never in OSM but rather one of the hotels
they've added to their app from Booking.com. Hotel B is from OSM.

This is the area https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/-33.87758/151.20447

There are other examples of this too like this hotel
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/196622136 which in the app shows up
next to their supplemented data like this
https://tianjara.net/hosted/maps.me-2.png

Am I correct that in order to be complaint with the license MAPS.ME
either need to make this data available under the ODBL or remove all
OSM hotels from their app?

[1] http://wiki.osmfoundation.org/wiki/License/Community_Guidelines/Horizontal_Map_Layers_-_Guideline#Examples_of_where_you_DO_need_to_share_your_non-OpenStreetMap_data
[2] version 6.2.2-Google Data version: 160621