[OSM-legal-talk] MAPS.ME combining OSM data and non-OSM data?

Ilya Zverev ilya at zverev.info
Fri Jul 22 07:28:21 UTC 2016

You are starting to derive the licensing terms from intentions, and not the actual process or usage. Which basically says, if the community accepts this way of judging: however you use our data, if we don't like what you do with it, you would have to stop. And that is definitely not a FOSS license, and not only maps.me would have to stop using OSM, because there would be a chance that any data user might suddenly find out that odbl favours the provider. It's like "this data must be used only for good and not evil": while fun, legally dangerous.

It seems to me, you are considering the Collective Database Guideline to be the law, disregarding the actual ODbL and the words "may be" that follow the de-duplication use case. "Endorsed by the Board" is not equal to "Is a part of the license". "Primary feature" definition is not a part of ODbL, it was introduced to give better understanding of the guideline topic. It defines what is a collective database, but does not define the contrary: if a data set is not covered by the guideline, it doesn't automatically become derivative.

Consider a simpler experiment. I remove nodes based on an obscure algorithm. I then publish the rest of the database and a list of removed nodes under an open license. Do I have to open the algorithm?

IZ