[OSM-legal-talk] MAPS.ME combining OSM data and non-OSM data?

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Fri Jul 22 08:00:36 UTC 2016

On 7/22/2016 12:28 AM, Ilya Zverev wrote:
> Consider a simpler experiment. I remove nodes based on an obscure algorithm. I then publish the rest of the database and a list of removed nodes under an open license. Do I have to open the algorithm?

The database would be a derivative database and you would have to
publish one of

a) the entire derivative database; or
b) A file containing all of the alterations made to the Database or the
method of making the alterations to the Database (such as an algorithm),
including any additional Contents

If you are publishing the database, this falls under a) and you don't
need to do anything else. Someone could compare the databases, find out
what you removed, and possibly run some analysis. If you don't want to
publish the database (e.g. size reasons), then b) means you have to give
enough information for someone to generate a).