[OSM-legal-talk] FYI Collective Database Guideline

Simon Poole simon at poole.ch
Thu Jun 9 15:36:22 UTC 2016

Am 09.06.2016 um 17:06 schrieb Robert Whittaker (OSM lists):

> Also (and it may be deliberate) this guideline doesn't address the
> question of what filtering / querying you can do with your collective
> database. For instance, under the guideline I can take OSM restaurant
> data, and add third-party ratings data to each entry, and it will be a
> collective database. But what if I then do a query that returns the
> locations of restaurants that have >4* ratings in a certain area and
> just show those to users? Is this filtered dataset -- including the
> ratings used to create it -- subject to share-alike, or is it still a
> collective database of OSM restaurant names and locations, together
> with independent ratings?
I don't quite see the problem:

- the OSM component of a Collective Database retains its licensing terms
regardless of what you do with it.
- if you don't create a database, you don't create a database. As the
ODbL states you can use a Collective Database to create a Produced Work
without creating an intermediate Derivative Database, typically on the
fly generated results for display purposes will be Produced Works.
- if you created a dataset from the filtered results and publicly used
it, yes, likely you would have to honour a request for the OSM
component  (which naturally would implicitly contain the information
where those 4* restaurants are) TANSTAAFL.

Simon