[OSM-legal-talk] FYI Collective Database Guideline

Tom Lee tlee at mapbox.com
Fri Jun 10 16:48:58 UTC 2016

> This is a desirable goal but don't forget there is another side to
> that - if i as an entrepreneur consider contributing to the OSM
> database it could be important for me that my contributions cannot be
> used by the competition against my interests.  Share-alike might play a
> significant role in such consideration.  So having pro-share-alike safe
> harbour statements might be equally important.

Protecting commercial interests by limiting reuse is generally not a goal
of open licenses*. If someone owns proprietary data and wants to extract
rents from it, they probably shouldn't contribute it to an open data
project like OSM.

* obviously there are exceptions -- CC-BY-NC exists, though it's
little-loved both in terms of adoption and its creating organization -- but
I think it would be a stretch to say the ODbL was designed for this purpose