[OSM-legal-talk] Use of data from the Malaysian government Open Data portal

Tobias Knerr osm at tobias-knerr.de
Mon Mar 7 23:10:21 UTC 2016

Hello,

On 2016-03-07, Jangan Kacau wrote:
> Recently, the data portal has released a list of route reference
> numbers, which can be accessed from the link:
> <http://data.gov.my/view.php?view=921.>http://data.gov.my/view.php?view=921
> and I would like to use it to update OSM.

Section 3 could be a problem. As you know, users of OSM data must
attribute OSM, but we don't want to force them to list lots of other
data providers alongside OSM.

This section seems to require that users of the data (which would
include all users of OSM if this data is imported) provide attribution
to the Malaysian government. In that case, the data would not be usable
for OSM under the current licensing terms.

I'm not sure if my reading is correct, though. Could anyone confirm, please?