[OSM-legal-talk] wikidata cc0 <> odbl

Jo winfixit at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 12:48:11 UTC 2017

Time to open up a whole new fresh can of worms....

Call me werid, but I like the idea of cooperation between opendata
projects, but differences in licensing don't make this exactly easy.

So here goes.

Let's start with a node.

a)
I add a node (say for a school) to OSM. Since it's coming from an import
(or I surveyed it myself) I have more details and I'd like to add those
details to wikidata as well.

I look at the imagery and find the school grounds and place a node
somewhere in the middle. So I'm the one who determined the coordinates. If
I want to share them to wikidata that should be fine. In the reference
field of wikidata I create a source reference "reference url" and set it to
the url Ctrl-Shift-I sends me to www.openstreetmap.org/node/12345678

b)
Next case I draw a polygon around the school grounds and have JOSM
determine the center point for the coordinates. This time I use
www.openstreetmap.org/wat/12345678 as the reference url.
Again, I'm the one who determined the coordinates at the time of creation
of the object on OSM.

c)
I find a street on OSM and want to add/update its position to/on wikidata.
I take the 2 end points and determine the center. This time I reference
back to the way on OSM, or if the way was splt, to the way segment nearest
to the center point. There is nothing there at this point in OSM, usually
the coordinates also don't correspond to any OSM object. I was not the
creator of this street or its end nodes. odbl states I need to state the
source, that was done using the refernce url pointing back to
openstreetmap.org. Is this enough?

d)
2 streets join on a node. wikidata has a property "connects with". I'd like
to use the url fo the node as the source for the connection between these 2
roads. This time it's not about the coordinates, but about the fact one can
get from one of those roads to another using that node. Is that OK to do,
or should I find anoher source for this 'knowledge'.

e)
wikidata also has properties "coordinate of northernmost point"
(easternmost, southernmost, westernmost). Can those be sourced to OSM
(nodes)?

Polyglot