[OSM-legal-talk] use OSM data to select proprietary data

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Dec 13 09:44:27 UTC 2019

13 Dec 2019, 09:48 by frederik at remote.org:

> I end up with a database of "streets that have at least one pub". This
> database does not include OSM data.
>
> In my eyes, though, it is still *derived* from OSM data. It is the
> result of an algorithmic process that has made use of OSM data; if you
> will, the OSM data residue is in the name/description of my new
> database: "roads with pubs". It is derived from OSM; it could not have
> been made without OSM.

Or more extreme.

(1) I create database of points on the grid of 0.1 cm.
(2) I create two list, first contains what according to OSM is on land,
second contains what according to OSM data is water
(3) I claim that both lists are not ODBL licenced.

Are you going to claim that also this one is legally sound, and not Mapbox-tier
"attribution hidden behind mystery meat "(i)" navigation
fulfills ODBL attribution requirement" swindle?