[OSM-legal-talk] use OSM data to select proprietary data

Kathleen Lu kathleen.lu at mapbox.com
Sat Dec 21 02:01:37 UTC 2019

the guideline is about individual results, not about aggregations, for
> which the share alike provisions persist. From my interpretation this also
> implies that the attribution requirements persist for individual results,
> because otherwise it would not be clear that you cannot aggregate them. Do
> you agree?

No, the guideline was explicitly about both individual results and
aggregations. Individual results are insubstantial, so no ODbL obligations
attach at all (attribution is one of the ODbL obligations). A collection of
results is not a Derivative Database *unless* the collection is used as a
general geodatabase (basically, if you tried to reverse engineer OSM by
mass geocoding). That means that in normal circumstances, for a collection
of results (an aggregation), the sharealike provisions *do not* persist.