[OSM-legal-talk] Proposal for a revision of JA:Available Data

石野貴之 yumean1119 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 09:39:16 UTC 2019

Thank you for the responce.

To Joseph:
> Survey would still be needed, because website information can be wrong
> or out-of-date. Even if website data is allowed, in-person survey is
> the "gold standard", best practice.

I totally agree. Mapping without survey is regarded as an "import" and
should be followed by the import guideline.

To Mateusz:

- facts are not copyrightable and from copyright view it does not matter
> whatever
> one copied information from opening hours sign or from website
> - collections of facts may have copyright or copyright like restrictions,
> copying
> phone book or all branches of $CORPORATION may be not OK
> - copying collections of facts is not OK also when distributed among many
> people
> (that is why Wikidata is problematic - copying database one fact at time
> is not removing
> sui generis database rights)

That's right.  I understand copying collections of facts is a problematic
action over sui generis database right.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sui_generis_database_right

I am sure that mapping opening hours, name etc from signs is OK.

We all agree with this. However, some of us don't like the idea

I am sure that mapping opening hours, name etc from website of individual
> business is OK.

because it would be unfair if websites of small business are allowed and
those of large comanies are not.

I am sure that "we would able to map POIs without surveying on the ground
> at all" does not
> matter as far as copyright status of such data is concerned.

Yeah, it's not a violation of laws or licences " as far as copyright
status" is concerned. But it may cause a problem
when it comes to database rights and other rights. Thus we need a new
guideline not to violate these rights.

Thank you.

Takayuki Ishino (user: yumean1119)
yumean1119 at gmail.com