[OSM-legal-talk] Proposal for a revision of JA:Available Data

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Jul 5 15:21:10 UTC 2019

5 Jul 2019, 16:21 by yumean1119 at gmail.com:

> Both of you are saying that factual data such as opening_hours, phone numbers or addresses require no investimentĀ
> and thus they are not protected by the database rights. Am I right?

it seems to me that (I am no a lawyer etc) that it depends:

someone publishing data about their OWN shops (or other types of objects):
not passing barrier of protection

someone publishing data about shops where there was "substantial" effort into making database:
protected

For example making onĀ  my own database of opening hours of Tesco shops in my country
would require visiting every single shop, I think that this data would be probably protected

---

in short:
- we can copy from websites maintained by businesses both small and large as far as
copyright is concerned (other limitations may apply like concerns about data quality)
that give information about their own business
- we must not copy from other sources like phonebooks/Google Maps that aggregate results
about other businesses (except cases where we are really sure that database protection laws do not apply)