[OSM-legal-talk] Copy information from official business website (WAS: Proposal for a revision of JA:Available Data)

tomoya muramoto muramototomoya at gmail.com
Fri Jul 5 20:16:50 UTC 2019

Thanks everyone.

I ask a simple question. May I copy the information of the TESCO Boston
Superstore to OSM?
https://www.tesco.com/store-locator/uk/?bid=2108

This website contains information such as
- addr=*
- phone=*
- opening_hours=*
- branch=*

The OSM data for this store does not yet contain `phone=*` nor
`opening_hours=*`. Can I copy them to OSM?
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/61998754

If I can use them, remote mapping of TESCO stores may be possible using
address data and satellite imagery. (Boston Superstore has already been
mapped on OSM, so remote mapping is not necessary in this case)

Note: TESCO claims that the information on the website is protected.
https://www.tesco.com/help/terms-and-conditions/#Intellectual

I do not know if these data are legally available or not, but I think it is
safe not to use these data for OSM.

Thanks.

muramoto tomoya