[OSM-legal-talk] Licensability of an employee's work

Kathleen Lu kathleen.lu at mapbox.com
Fri Oct 18 23:06:38 UTC 2019

Jurisdiction dependant, but here are two general concepts which I think are
relevant:

As the statute you quoted specifies, when copyright will belong to the
employer, it tends to depend on if the copyrightable work was made within
the scope of the employee's job. (If you're a software programmer, it would
be difficult for your employer to claim ownership a romance novel you
write, but easier to claim ownership of code you write.)

When an employee signs a contract, whether that contract is binding on the
employer depends on whether the employee had authorization to sign on
behalf of the employer, and sometimes whether it *seems* like to a
reasonably objective person dealing with the employee whether the employee
had authorization.

These two principles would be in tension with each other in the case of an
employer who claimed, on the one hand, that their employee's job was to
edit OSM, but on the other hand, the employee did not have authorization to
sign the Contributor Agreement, which would have been required for them to
do their job.

Thus, while it would be easy for an employer to claim ownership of such
edits, I think it would be difficult for that same employer to also claim
the Contributor Agreement does not apply.

-Kathleen