[OSM-legal-talk] Brexit & EU database rights

Edward Bainton bainton.ete at gmail.com
Sun Dec 13 09:21:36 UTC 2020

Thank you for the link, now read. All you say on substantial changes makes
sense.

So if we move the database into the EU, are we confident it would be all be
protected under those terms? Does the hiatus from 1 Jan 2021 cause any
difficulties? I'm reading the bit that says protection runs from the date
of completion of the database - which is either already done, or never to
be achieved. Either way I'm struggling to be sure that a database imported
into the EU (perhaps considered complete on the day of import?) would have
the protection.

Or do we need two databases - the UK-based one that is protected under the
legacy agreement (until the UK Parliament decides otherwise, I suppose),
and the new EU one, and the servers work off them in tandem?