[OSM-legal-talk] local copyright law on government data and OSM license

Erwin Olario govvin at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 01:30:39 UTC 2020

Thank you for pitching-in Eugene, and thank you everyone for your inputs.

I would like to specify that in the example mentioned by Eugene, the
dataset is not publicly distributed -- but there are extra-legal copies
going around the Internet. The government agency who created the geodata is
the Philippine Statistical Authority (which isn't, by the way,  the
government agency responsible for defining authoritative boundaries) sold
them for the purpose of helping end-users visualize the statistical data
they create. The condition of their sale (similar to the Memorandum of
Agreement with NAMRIA) was that end-users may use the data on the disc
internally, but may not re-distribute them publicly. They stopped selling
the data 10 years ago, and they never published the geodata.

IMO, the copies getting around that users may be utilizing is sullied by
the fact that it wasn't meant for distribution, so users cannot grant any
rights to OSM, which they didn't have in the first place. This wouldn't be
an issue if the data is being made available by the agency itself, which it
isn't.

At any rate, these discussions are indeed very helpful for elucidating the
position our community should take. And, we take note of Simon's advise
that a conservative interpretation might be prudent.

Looking forward to more of your inputs. Thank you.

» email: erwin@ <erwin at ngnuity.net>*n**gnu**it**y**.xyz*
<http://ngnuity.net/> | govvin at gmail.com
» mobile: https://t.me/GOwin
» OpenPGP key: 3A93D56B | 5D42 7CCB 8827 9046 1ACB 0B94 63A4 81CE 3A93 D56B