[OSM-legal-talk] Images ineligible to copyright as a simple shapes (OSM Wiki)

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Sat Mar 6 09:28:58 UTC 2021

I am trying to process https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Media_without_a_license

My problem right now is deciding which images fit
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Template:PD-shape
"simple geometric shapes. These are not eligible for copyright alone because they are not original enough"

For example I am unsure about:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:2020_st_powergensource_wind.svg
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:2020_st_placeofworship_shinto.svg
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:2020_st_amenity_pub.svg
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:2020_st_amenity_restaurant.svg
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:2020_st_placeofworship_sikh.svg
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:2020_st_placeofworship_pastafarian.svg

I would appreciate any help in any of below:

- deciding whatever describing this images as simple geometric shapes
ineligible for copyright as not original enough is correct

- looking at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:PD-licensed_as_below_threshold_of_originality
whether images there are actually so simple to be below threshold of originality

- help in spotting wrong or misleading content on any of linked pages
(I am not a lawyer)

- help in processing https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Media_without_a_license
(marking images for deletion where appropriate, replacing images with unclear copyright
with one where it is clear, asking uploaders to clarify licensing status etc)