[OSM-legal-talk] Images ineligible to copyright as a simple shapes (OSM Wiki)

Kathleen Lu kathleen.lu at mapbox.com
Tue Mar 9 16:00:00 UTC 2021

In my view, the author licensed the icons to OSM for OSM uses by adding
them to the wiki.
It would appear, based on the instruction at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Icons/Map_Icons_Standards#2020_iconset:_templates_and_examples:
"please if you do derivative work do not call it 2020iconset" that the
author intended for the icons to be reused.
I understand the purpose of Wikimedia Commons (public domain commons) to be
different from the OSM wiki (info about OSM) and therefore do not see why
Wikimedia Commons' practices should set some kind of standard.