[Local-chapters] Statement of purpose for local chapters

John Smith deltafoxtrot256 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 10:44:06 BST 2009

2009/9/21 Sam Vekemans <acrosscanadatrails at gmail.com>:
> Having 1 member living in the state of incorporation is key, and 20
> members i nice to have. There is a need to search internally to find
> mappers who are also lawyers and have experience setting up
> non-profits.

I don't know about Canada, but in Australia it takes about 30mins and
about $120 give or take, however that's only for a non-profit, then
you need a smart accountant/lawyer to get the proper tax code so
donations can be tax deducable.

> I'd (really) recommend setting up a talk-nz and a talk-au list with
> osm.org so that everyone is on board and on the same page. (im on the
> other lists and can see that there is a rift, or maybe its just me :)

Erm there is a talk-au list... the nz'ers seem to hang out with the
OSGeo crowd from what I've been told.

> re: big .osm files
> I need to than Ian Dees (again) because since SHP-to-osm-5.0.jar you
> can add the "-maxnodes 2000" switch where it will make nice small
> .osm0 .osm1 .osm2 .osm3 etc. files that can be happely imported with
> JOSM.

That doesn't help me, the majority of the boundaries already exist
from other imports, I just need to be able import missing boundaries
and create a relation from all the boundaries to form the post code
boundary :)